So when we’ve been doing some of the works outside at the cottage we’ve ended up with some pallets and some wooden cable reels. Now J wanted to just cut them up for firewood but I’ve got bigger plans. I’m hoping to turn the three cable reels (which are three different sizes) into two different things. Firstly the largest is going to be painted in blackboard paint and become a chalk table for C. Then I have plans to turn the other two into a mushroom table and some stools. I’m hoping to turn the pallets into a play cafe. Given that I have never done any kind of woodwork at all in my life it is quite an ambitious plan but I’m really liking the idea of creating something from waste materials. J thinks I’m mad to attempt it given my lack of skills but fingers crossed it doesn’t look totally rubbish when I’m done. I’m starting with the cable reels as they are less ambitious and only really need a bit of sanding and painting apart from the stools. Keep checking back in for updates!
So after we had started cutting down some dead trees in the garden J decided that we needed a log store. The freshly cut logs would need to be seasoned (left for a bit) before being used on the fire the following year. Long term once we have done the big works to the cottage we hope to install a log burner in the lounge so keeping wood will be a real money saving thing for us instead of buying it in. So J and his dad constructed a log store which we could use to store the logs until they could be brought into the house to be burnt. Whilst you can obviously buy log stores, J liked the idea of creating one which fit exactly into the space we wanted it to and kept to the rustic feel we are going for in the garden. Although I’m not sure we are trying to create a rustic feel by choice, more that it may be the only option available for us! I’ve had to get J to give me the low down on how he built the log store as I have had no part in either it’s design or it’s creation.
The logs store was built around a grid formation in order to use two pallets as a base. The pallets will enable the logs to be kept elevated off the ground so they should remain damp free. Using some kind of gigantic mallet thing he drove six kreosoted fence posts into the ground around the pallets. Then a wooden frame was constructed at the head of the posts to rest a corrugated metal roof on top. This slopes to the rear to ensure that water slides off it. The walls were then clad with shiplapped timber (I have no idea what this is by the way I just had to pretend to as J made it sound like something everyone knew about) which was nailed to the posts. We plan on painting it to match some of the other woodwork in the garden when we get round to it. Oh and as you can see from the pictures our log store is currently housing some non-log related junk as we have nowhere else to put it!