Today I just thought I would share some of the little quirks which have been uncovered through the stripping back of the cottage. So as I’ve said before our cottage was built first and next door (which is semi-detached) was built on at a later date. As there were no original deeds for the houses we don’t know exactly when the properties were built and we don’t entirely know our cottage’s original layout, we do know though that the kitchen was a post war extension. Obviously when our cottage was built it was detached and as such had windows on all four outside walls. So when the cottage next door was built some of these windows had to be blocked up. So we have one downstairs and one upstairs blocked up window. When all the plaster has been hacked off they have been fully exposed. Unfortunately the downstairs one will have to be blocked up as the stairs will go right through it, but the upstairs one will be right at the top of the stairs and we are planning on making into a nice feature.
The other feature which I just love is our extra fireplace. In our lounge we have one fireplace which last winter we opened up and installed a log burner into. That still needs finishing when the work is completed but already is a lovely feature in the room. At the opposite end of the room there was a chimney breast which had been sealed up a long time ago. With the work beginning we have taken off the plaster and opened it up. In fact with the stripping out of the ceiling upstairs we can see how this chimney extends right up to the roof.
As lovely as this is we have decided to remove it and flatten the wall both down and upstairs. Downstairs it should give us better space to put a sofa in the room and upstairs the chimney breast is so curved that it is really hard to fit furniture around it. So as much as we are trying to keep some authentic features in it, we are trying to make practical decisions for our future home.